Post doctor’s appointment on 1/13/2012 – “Friday the 13th”.
Yesterday was another doctors appointment. This was just a regular checkup / update, and was to include the discussion about returning to work. For whatever reason, did not work out this way.
First up is the CBC (Complete Blood Counts) where they prick my finger and get a sample of blood to test. All counts are in the normal range, with only one being a little on the high side. So all is well there.
Second, was Blood pressure test. My blood pressure was 120 / 80, a bit higher than my norm which usually runs around 110 / 70. This is well within normal and is nothing to concern myself with.
Back to the waiting room and wait to see the doctor. The place [Helen and Harry Gray Cancer Center] was pretty packed, typical for a Friday. It took about 35 – 40 minutes before the doc was able to see me.
When it was my turn to see the doc, he came in smiling as usual. There is still a question about headaches I have had lately. We both believe that these are more related to sinus issues and not the cancer. He asked a bunch of questions, and decides to send me for a head / brain MRI. I will need to get this done and schedule another appointment with him before returning to work. I had an appointment with the nurse practitioner a couple of weeks back with regards to headaches. They took a couple of vials of blood and sent them out for tests. The doc stated that the blood looks normal, unlike the previous tests (when I was originally diagnosed with Lymphoma) where the blood was not normal. This helps to confirm that the headaches are not cancer related. My MRI has been scheduled for Monday the 16th and the next doctor appointment is the 27th.
When I asked about going back to work on Feb 6th, the doctor wanted to know what was special about that date? I was more looking to get a timeframe when I can return, something to shoot for. He started talking about my next PET scan which will be in March. I asked him why not get the PET scan now, instead of the head / brain MRI only. Basically goes back to the insurance will not approve within 3 months..?? Figures. I stated that 3 months would mean Feb and not March, as I had been scanned back in November.
There was a disconnect on our discussion which is not typical for he and I. Looking back, when the conversation about returning to work “after the scan” happened, I am thinking the head / brain one (next couple of weeks) and the doc is thinking the PET scan.
Even with this disconnect, the doc stated that if I bring in the paperwork on the 27th, he will decide to what extent I can return, and send me back. It may only be part-time, will need to decide the capacity after the test and review.
Overall this is good news, just not what I wanted. 🙂 I will need to take a little more time before I can return to work.
Keep in touch!