Continuing on the subject of Social Media or Social Networking let’s take a look at the current top sites and a few new ones you may not have heard about.
The top 12 Social Networking sites
The rank varies by source -results are similar
- Facebook – Need I say more?
- Twitter – Updates limited to 140 characters.
- LinkedIn – Business focused social networking.
- Pinterest – Image based visual discovery for ideas and interests.
- Google Plus+ – Google’s answer to Facebook.
- Tumblr – Microblogging site.
- Instagram – Photo sharing site.
- VK – Largest European social networking site.
- Flickr – Photo and video sharing site.
- Vine – Micro video sharing site (6 secondvideos).
- Meetup – Networking for [local] groups.
- Tagged – Social Network site for meeting new people.
New Social Networking Sites
- pheed – this is not a “free” site. Essentially you post information on your pheed and people pay to see it. Popular with celebrities
- thumb – crowd sourcing, opinion site. Post a picture and users get to vote on it.
- chirpify – this site is used to sell stuff. People pay with “tweets”.
- We Heart It – upload photos and people can “heart” it or simply follow you
- Viddy – micro video site – shutting down on December 15th, stating that there is more to come.
- impossible – People list wishes and others attempt to grant them. Matching needs with skills.
- Nextdoor – Social site to communicate with your neighbors. (Really? – just go outside .. lol)
- Sportlobster – Sporting fan site
Given all the various sites, is it any wonder we have a hard time keeping up? This is just a small drop in the bucket of social networking sites that are available. This is the good side of the internet too. Just wait until I give you a taste of the dark side.
What happened to YouTube?
There is some debate about YouTube. Some say it is not a “true” social networking site. While it does contain a lot of the attributes for a social networking site it does not conform to a few of the more prevalent ideas. It lacks private sharing and private messaging (private sharing can be debated).
While some may not consider it a true social networking site, it still is a formidable video sharing platform and some say it is the second largest search engine.
Want to figure out how to do something? YouTube it!
What sites do you use? Which ones would you like to know more about? Let me know and I will put it on my list for reviews.
Thanks for stopping in.
As always, Truly Blessed!